Understanding the world of sand and water
Popular Beach Science
Sand, water and waves
This book explains the basic soil and wave mechanics along the beach. It gives answers to the following questions:
- What is Quicksand?
- What is the max height I can build the walls of my sand castle?
- Why is moist sand firmer than dry sand?
- Why is there a “dry spot” around your foot when walking along the wet beach?
- Why do I sink with my chair legs into dry sand or completely submerged sand and not in a slightly damp sand surface?
- Why is the recovery of a stranded ship so difficult?
- What is a wave?
- How does the tide work?
- What is a Tsunami Wave and why is it so dangerous?
Simple calculation models and model tests descriptions are included that will increase the understanding of these coastal phenomena.
Also available in: